Monday, September 12, 2011

No mas Tex-Mex?!

If you follow me on Twitter or have ever met me you know that I LOVE Tex-Mex food! I really could eat it every single day for lunch and dinner. Imagine my surprise to find out that there is absolutely no Tex-Mex in Seattle! *gasp. I halfway expected that it would be hard to place a few, but to not have any just boggles my mind. (If any one of you want to lend me some money to open one here...I'm pretty sure that your ROI will be VERY high!) We went to a "Tex-Mex" place in Queen Anne. The Yelp review said that it was "amazing"! We were excited when we walked in and saw a plethora of University of Texas memorabilia! We sat down and ordered something called, "queso"...it was a bowl of melted feta cheese, a can of green chilies, and jack cheese. (I'm shaking my head a I type)...I won't go on about the rest of the meal, but we were sad and disappointed. Right then and there we decided that if we want Tex-Mex we've got to make it ourselves! I can do that...and I'm happy to oblige.

First recipe is Chicken Chalupas
This is a very easy meal and tastes amazing!!
Here are the list of ingredients and the order to layer them:
  • Pre-made Chapula tortillas
  • Low-sodium refried beans
  • Shredded chicken with a little bit of chili power and paprika- heat until warm in microwave
  • Shredded lettuce
  • Dollop of sour cream
  • Dollop of Guacamole or a few slices of avocado
  • Diced tomatoes
  • Sprinkle with mexican-style cheese
This is one to try, and you get to use the Chalupas for the next recipe as well. Ole!

Second recipe is: Tortilla Chip Chicken Enchiladas
This was so easy, and fun to make.

Shopping list:
  • 2 large cans of shredded chicken
  • 1 can of cream of chicken soup
  • 1 8oz. sour cream
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning
  • 1 can of tomato with green chilies
  • 1 can of pinto beans
  • 1 can of Mexicali corn
  • 4 corn chalupas (use from chicken chalupas)
  • 2 cups of mexican shredded cheese
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
Drain the can of tomatoes REALLY good...and spread on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish
Rinse the can of beans, and then sprinkle on the top of the tomatoes,
Drain the can of corn and layer on top of the beans.
Now crush the chalupas and sprinkle on the ingredients.

In a seperate bowl mix the 2 can of chicken (drained), sour cream, cream of chicken soup, and taco seasoning. Once mixed well with spoon, pour over crushed chalupas.

Once it looks like this, pop it in the oven for about 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, pull out the casserole and top with cheese, then bake for another 5-10 minutes. Let set up for about 5 minutes, then enjoy! We did...and forgot to take a final picture. So sorry, but it is really delicious. I served it with a simple salad and salsa ranch dressing.

For now...these will help my Tex-Mex cravings! If anyone has a delicious recipe to share, please do!

No comments:

Post a Comment